Your First Visit
At Smiles of Carolina, we believe in making your first visit with us a very special and pleasant experience. We’ll begin your appointment with a thorough review of your medical history as well as any medications you are currently taking and discuss the ways that your overall health – including your medications – has a direct impact on your oral health and vice versa. As part of your evaluation, we will also take a blood pressure reading.
If necessary, we will take x-rays using state-of-the-art digital imaging technology, which allows us to take high quality images using up to 90% less radiation than traditional film x-rays. These x-rays will allow us to see inside your teeth and under your gums to properly diagnose cavities and gum disease. This technology also helps us find pathological conditions such as cysts, tumors, or other growths.
One of our points of pride here at Smiles of Carolina is the knowledge that we provide one of the most comprehensive examinations you will ever receive. We don’t believe in rushing through your appointment to get to the next patient. Our pledge to you is that we will take all the time required to make sure that every single one of your concerns is properly addressed.
Your physical evaluation will include a thorough examination of your head and neck. This helps us to assess any common muscle, joint, glandular, or skin issues that may affect your health. As part of your examination and at every checkup, you will receive an oral cancer screening, in which Dr. Mark or Dr. Ko will carefully examine the soft tissues of your mouth for any of the warning signs of cancer, which include lumps, bumps, and discolorations. We will also examine your gums for any indication of gum disease because early detection and treatment will help avoid bone loss and other serious complications.
Following this physical examination, we will evaluate the health of your teeth and the condition of any existing dental work, including fillings and crowns. If a need for future dental work is noted, we will work with you to plan a treatment program.
Before your appointment, we request the following:
- Think of any questions you’d like to ask our office and make a list so you don’t accidentally forget anything. Let us know about any concerns you have regarding your dental treatment and any oral health problems you have experienced.
- Make sure to bring your dental insurance card with you to your appointment.
- Before your first appointment, you will need extra time to fill out your personal, financial, and medical paperwork. Please arrive about 15 minutes early to allow time for this. We do have forms available on our website, and you can save time by downloading these forms and filling them out prior to your visit.
- Bring a complete medication list including the names of your medications and your dosages.
- Depending on the results of your initial examination, you may or may not receive a cleaning at this visit. We will discuss this with you at your appointment. Cleanings require an adequate amount of time to be performed properly, and we want to be able to properly address your dental concerns.
Welcome to Smiles of Carolina! We look forward to meeting you!